Realising every child's potential
Curriculum in Foundation
Foundation, or Prep, is an exciting year that focuses on developing the foundations of our students’ learning. A memorable part of the Foundation year is the many interactive excursions and incursions that support our daily learning in the classroom. These include a visit from the RACV during our Road Safety unit, followed by an excursion to the Traffic School. This enables the children to apply the knowledge they have developed throughout the unit to real life situations and experiences.
Activity-Based Learning (ABL) is a valuable program that encourages children to develop many skills through exploration. Our ABL program promotes learning through play-based activities and assists in developing our students’:
- Social/emotional skills
- Cognitive skills
- Independence for their own learning
- Writing skills
ABL Program at RGLPS:
- Two 2-hour sessions a week (1 hour activities, 1 hour writing)
- Each classroom has a different theme for the week and themes are changed weekly.
- Themes are based on Literacy, Numeracy, Science and Inquiry units.
- Classrooms are set up with a variety of activities and cater for all learning styles and interests.
- Children are free to walk between the Prep classrooms, choosing activities to explore and complete.
- At the end of each session, children are asked to write about their experiences.
- Writing is first modelled by the teacher. Children will then write independently in their books.
- Writing through experience helps develop and improve writing skills.